This chowder will satisfy the heartiest of appetites. Serve with slices of fresh bread. Makes about 6 cups.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-3/4 oz.) cream style corn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- (Optional) shredded cheddar cheese for serving
- Combine potatoes, bacon, onion and celery in 2-quart microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH, 4-6 minutes or until onion is softened and bacon fat is melted. Drain bacon drippings. Stir in chicken broth. Microwave on HIGH, 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender; stir once after 5 minutes.
- Add cream style corn, salt and pepper. Microwave on power Level 4, 10-12 minutes. Stir in milk, if desired, during last 2-3 minutes of cooking.
- Ladle into bowls. Top with shredded cheese, if desired.
*Stir hot mixtures during microwaving every few minutes to heat evenly.
*Add liquids, such as broth, at room temperature. This prevents taking additional time for the liquid to heat.
*Remember that casseroles and dishes will be hot at the end of cooking. Always use an oven mitt or pad to remove casseroles and dishes from the microwave.