Even elegant desserts can be made in the microwave. These apples are crisp tender and served with a luscious caramel sauce. Equally delicious using pears. Makes 4 servings.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 medium apples
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Place butter in 1-quart microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH, 30 seconds or until butter is melted. Stir in brown sugar and cream. Microwave on HIGH, 2-3 minutes stirring every 30 seconds until mixture thickens. Remove from microwave; set aside to cool slightly.
- Cut apples in half lengthwise (from stem end to bud end). Remove core from each apple half. Arrange apples, cut side up in 8-inch square microwave-safe casserole. Microwave on HIGH, 2-3 minutes or until apples are crisp tender.
- Place apple halves onto individual serving plates. Spoon sauce over apples. If desired, sprinkle pecans over tops.
*If desired, this sauce can be made in advance, refrigerated and reheated before serving.
*Use apples such as Gala, Golden Delicious, Jonagold or Roma.
*If desired, serve these apples with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
*Microwaving sugar mixtures causes them to bubble and rise. Always stir mixtures every 30 seconds to avoid bubbling over. Always use a deep bowl when preparing any sugar mixtures or sauces.